Onion, Citrus, and Tomato Salad
- 6 jumbo Idaho-E Oregon yellow onions thinly sliced
- 24 Curly lettuce leaves
- 4 large Navel oranges or grape fruit peeled and cut into ½ inch slices
- 3 to 4 large beefsteak tomatoes cut into ½ inch slices
- 48 blades of French chives if desired
- 2½ c. Orange juice
- 1½ c. Balsamic vinegar
- ¾ c. Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. dried Basil leaves crushed
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Peel and trim ends from onions.
- Cut each onion into eight slices.
- Individual Serving:
- Place lettuce leaf on each lunch plate.
- Alternate and fan two slices each of oranges, tomatoes, and onions over lettuce.
- Drizzle each salad with 3 tablespoons dressing.
- Garnish with two blades of chive, if desired.
- Tip: Add slices of provolone or mozzarella to make an entrée salad.