Onion Pasta Bella
- 8 jumbo Idaho-E Oregon yellow onions
- 6 large Bell peppers assorted colors seeded and sliced
- 6 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 6 large tomatoes seeded and chopped
- ¼ c. garlic minced
- 4 tsp. Oregano dried
- 2 tsp. medium-grind black pepper
- 6 qt. cooked bite sized pasta such as Cavatappi, Fusilli, Penne, Rigatoni, Rotelli, or Gemelli, boiled al dente, drained
- 3 oz. fresh Basil leaves coarsely chopped or shredded
- 1½ c. Mozzarella cheese use fresh style if desired ½ inch dice
- 3 c. Parmesan or Romano cheese grated
- Cut ½ inch off the tops of the onions and slightly trim root ends. Bloom onions in onion bloom machine. Turn onions on their sides and cut ½ inch off base “petals”. Petals should be individual pieces. Sauté onion petals with Bell pepper strips in oil over high heat, about 5 minutes until tender-crisp and sweet.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, Oregano, and pepper to pan. Cover and cook over medium heat for 7 minutes to blend flavors.
- To order, toss 6 oz. (2 cups) hot pasta with 1 1/3 cups vegetable mixture. Add 2 tablespoons Basil, ½ cup Mozzarella and ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- Garnish with additional Basil and cheese if desired.
Serve meatless or accompany grilled meats, chicken, or fish.