Thai Onion Soup
- 2½ gallons beef or chicken stock
- 7 jumbo Idaho-E Oregon yellow onions thinly sliced
- 1¾ c. soy sauce
- ¾ c. lime or lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. ground Ginger
- 2 Thai Serranno or Jalapeño peppers seeded and finely chopped*
- 96 halves 4 lbs. medium-sized shelled shrimp cooked, deveined, and sliced lengthwise
- 48 fresh cilantro or parsley sprigs for garnish
- 4 Limes thinly sliced for garnish, * or use red pepper flakes to taste
- Bring stock to a simmer
- Peel and thinly slice onions into thin rings.
- Add onions, soy sauce, lime or lemon juice, Ginger, and peppers to broth; simmer 5 minutes, until onions are crisp-tender.
- To serve, place 4 shrimp halves in each serving bowl. Ladle in soup and sprinkle with cilantro sprigs and lime slices for garnish.